At The New Century School, preschool children are divided into two distinct groups: preprimary and primary. Preprimary starts at age 2 years and caters to the youngest learners, while students ages 3–5 years join mixed-age primary classrooms.
Both programs are designed to ignite your child’s innate curiosity. Curiosity in young learners lays the foundation for academic success. Our nurturing instructors help their students cultivate independent exploration of our rich learning environments and discover their affinities. Preschoolers also develop the resilience to master skills and succeed academically.
The Montessori Method Fulfills Young Children’s Needs
The Montessori preschool curriculum makes optimal use of the concept of “the absorbent mind,” in which young children are keenly receptive to their surroundings and social interactions. The Montessori preschool classroom provides hands-on, self-directed engagement with the specialized Montessori materials. Designed to invite manipulation and investigation, these ingenious materials entice children to explore them with all of their senses.
Hallmarks of the Montessori method are mixed-age classrooms, self-motivation, learning from peers, and the cultivation of concentration.
Our Montessori Preschool Program: Supportive, Nurturing Care
We are committed to providing each child the opportunity to become a self-motivated, happy individual through a balanced and enriching education.
Learning spaces are clearly defined for individual and collaborative engagement, while plenty of open space invites social interaction and circle time. Activities are designed to tap into children’s innate curiosity and ignite it.
In this nurturing environment, students are treated with kindness and respect and shown the importance of treating others with the same compassion.
Preprimary Level: Language Immersion at an Early Age
Our pre-primary program is geared to our littlest learners, ages 2 and 3 years. Meaningful activities teach children to use and master the Montessori educational and practical life tools. Your child will develop healthy self-esteem and take his or her first steps toward independence.
Complete Language Immersion
Lead and assistant teachers speak exclusively in either Mandarin Chinese or Spanish. Immersion in the target language allows pre-primary–aged children to develop comprehension, perfect pitch and pronunciation, and fluency. Learning another language also improves overall communication skills.
Other Highlights of Our Preprimary Program
- Specialized classroom design engineered to meet the physical needs of toddlers.
- Professionally certified, caring teachers who nurture and guide toddlers through their very first scholastic adventure.
- Half-day options are available as well as diapering services.
Primary Level: Inquiry-Driven Learning in a Montessori Classroom
In our primary program, your child will join other 3–5-year-olds in a child-centered Montessori preschool classroom. The process of inquiring begins with gathering information and data through applying the human senses—seeing, hearing, touching, tasting, and smelling.
Mandarin Chinese and Spanish language instruction also takes place in the primary program. A native speaker of one or the other acts as assistant teacher, while a native speaker of the alternate language circulates into the classroom three times a week for instruction in that language. These native speakers communicate only in—as well as provide instruction in other disciplines in—the target language.
Other Highlights of Our Primary Program
- Individualized, differentiated instruction that allows your child the freedom to develop and learn at his or her own pace.
- Peer learning with older children acting as mentors, while younger children are guided and challenged by these positive role models.
- Specialized Montessori materials that engage students purposefully in sensorial, practical life, and academic activities.
Young children thrive in our environments customized to fulfill their distinct physical, emotional, and academic needs.
We are so grateful for the strong academic base that the Montessori preschool curriculum has given our daughter, especially in understanding numbers and their values in representing quantity. As she says, ‘The New Century School is the best school ever!’Lily I.
- TNCS Preprimary Workshop, Fall 2018
- TNCS Preprimary Gets Wound Up for a Very Special Art Show!
- Getting to the Second Floor: Making the Transition from Pre-Primary to Primary at TNCS!
- TNCS’s Second Biannual Primary Workshop for 2017–2018!
- TNCS Primary Workshop 2017
- Preprimary Workshop: Preparing Your Child for the Primary Classroom
- Montessori Language Arts, Math, Science, and Global Studies at TNCS
- TNCS Primary Workshop: Connecting Montessori to Home
- TNCS Primary Students Have Something to Crow About!