The New Century School’s mission is to challenge students to realize their richest individual potential through progressive, multilingual education and meaningful participation in the world community.
Our Approach: Hands-On Learning
Our History: Montessori-Inspired Education in Southeast Baltimore
TNCS, a Baltimore private school, is dedicated to fostering a love of learning in every child. We understand that children learn at different paces, which is why our mixed-aged classrooms tap into students’ individual strengths and encourage children to learn both independently and in small groups.
Our inquiry-based approach ensures that each child receives an exceptional education. At all levels, our students are motivated to take risks, solve problems, and develop independence.
We place a strong emphasis on language acquisition and teach both Spanish and Mandarin Chinese. In fact, our youngest preschoolers learn and play in a complete immersion environment. After age 3, TNCS students transition to partial language immersion. Each class has a native Spanish- or Mandarin-speaking assistant teacher who communicates exclusively in that language.
As students enter elementary and middle school, they attend formal language classes in Spanish and Mandarin Chinese, learning to read and write in those languages as well as to speak fluently. In addition, some classes may be taught in Spanish or Mandarin Chinese to deepen language acquisition.
Schoolwide, we emphasize self-motivation and focus on developing character, including teaching children both self-respect and to be gracious and kind to others through continuous integration of our Core Values: Compassion, Courage, Respect, and Service.
TNCS Co-Executive Directors Roberta Faux and Jennifer Lawner founded Patterson Park Montessori in 2007 in Baltimore’s Patterson Park neighborhood. They had a clear vision of what early childhood education should encompass: a safe environment in which children develop responsibility, independence, and the desire to explore and learn about the world around them.
As the preschool class grew, so did the vision of the school’s founders. In 2010, we became The New Century School and expanded to serve kindergarten and elementary school students. We also moved to our current location in Fell’s Point, where we occupy the former Mother Seton Academy and St. Stanislaus church buildings on South Ann Street.
Today, our preschool program still follows the Montessori method. Our elementary classrooms are not strictly Montessori based but are “Montessori inspired.” Our elementary students are strong critical thinkers who care about learning.
In Fall 2016, TNCS opened its middle school division.
Request More Information
We love the hands-on learning and the Montessori approach that keeps our children actively engaged. The emphasis on language and culture has fostered a broad world view even at a very young age.Meredith & Steve M.
- TNCS Head of School Erika Johnson Shares Her Thoughts on the New School Year!
- TNCS Bids a Fond Farewell to the Class of 2023!
- Spring at TNCS: Renewal, Blossoming, and Song!
- TNCS’s Inaugural Spring Festival: By the TNCS Community, For the TNCS Community!
- A Is for Ambitious Girls (and Boys!) at TNCS!
- Mr. Warren Goes to Washington!
- TNCS’s First-Ever Middle School Valentine’s Day Social!
- TNCS Celebrates Lunar New Year and the Lantern Festival!
- Honoring a Visionary: TNCS Celebrates MLK, Jr. Day with Service … And Books!
- New Year’s Resolutions at TNCS: Speak Up (in Spanish and Mandarin Chinese)!
- The New Century School at 13: A Retrospective in Immersed Posts
- Guest Blogger Ann Marie Simonetti Offers Musings on Gratitude!
- Check In with Mr. B: How Is TNCS Science “Faring”?
- Alexis Boyd Joins TNCS as Director of Student Support!
- Music Is in the Air: TNCS Welcomes Back Martellies Warren!
- Meet Erika Johnson: TNCS’s New Head of School!
- TNCS Middle School Capstone Trip: Return to Puerto Rico!
- Honoring a TNCS Original: Yurisan Gonzalez Celebrates 10 Years at TNCS!
- Cooking Up Community: TNCS Celebrates the Land of Kush!
- ‘Tis the Season for Cuddles & Crafts!
- Devin Martin: Giving TNCS the Whole Picture!
- Ann Marie Simonetti Joins TNCS as Admissions Director!
- TNCS on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Where Do We Stand?
- TNCS Exemplifies Four Core Values