TNCS’s Middle School program cultivates critical thinking, preparing students to enter competitive high-school environments. The curriculum focuses on mastery of core academics, STEM, and modern world languages.
Class sizes are small, allowing teachers to differentiate instruction and offer individualized support. Rigor is infused through the program, with students taking on increasingly complex tasks through the Middle School grades.
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.”
Middle School Areas of Focus
Literature & Language Arts
- Citing textual evidence to support analysis
- Writing arguments to support claims
- Reading and comprehending literature
World Languages & Cultures
- Building fluency in Mandarin Chinese and Spanish
- Enhancing geographic knowledge and cultural understanding
- Planning and scheduling time
- Surveying and skimming texts
- Learning a variety of note-taking formats
- Acquiring test-taking strategies
- Following multistep procedures
- Developing and using models
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Exploring science-related social issues
- Developing real-life and mathematical problem-solving
- Expanding algebraic and geometric thinking
- Understanding statistics and probability
- Using technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and link to and cite sources
- Employing mobile devices and applying web-based tools across curriculum topics
- Practicing fitness and honing sports skills
- Studying health and nutrition
- Reading music
- Playing a musical instrument
- Utilizing a wide variety of media and techniques
- Studying art history and appreciation
Transferring in to the 6th-Grade Program
TNCS reserves a limited number of 6th-grade spots for transfer students from Baltimore City public elementary schools and other private schools. Applicants are required to submit elementary school transcripts and letters of recommendation and to undergo an interview.
Over the many years my daughter has been at TNCS, she’s grown tremendously both personally and academically. We’re very much looking forward to continuing the journey as she transitions to Middle School.Jennifer L.
- TNCS Middle School Students Learn Grant Writing!
- TNCS Elementary and Middle School Students Do Hands-On Field Research!
- TNCS Elementary and Middle School Students Spread Kindness from the Ground Up!
- TNCS Elementary and Middle School Students Get Moony!
- Internet Safety Assembly at TNCS
- TNCS Elementary and Middle School Students Visit AVAM!
- TNCS March Madness 2018!
- TNCS Students Save the World!
- March STEAM Madness at TNCS!
- TNCS’s Annual Elementary & Middle School Information Nights: An Overview
- TNCS Students Get Technical!
- Ozone Snack Bar Grand Opening!
- TNCS Middle School: Opening the Window of Awakening