The hallmark of The New Century School is teaching 21st-century skills. In our current world, knowing information is less useful than being able to use that information effectively. At TNCS, we guide our students to learn how to obtain information, make sense of it, and apply it in other contexts.
Through the use of inquiry, students receive a thorough grounding in STEM subjects (science, engineering, technology, and mathematics). Music and the visual arts are also part of the daily curriculum, promoting creativity and mindfulness. Multilingualism is another necessary skill in our global world, and our elementary students learn to speak, read, and write fluently in Spanish and Mandarin Chinese in addition to English.
Our progressive elementary program promotes critical independent thinking and makes learning exciting.
Elementary School Areas of Focus
TNCS’s robust elementary program encompasses all disciplines in a challenging, enriching whole.
Literature & Language Arts
- Appreciation of a variety of literary genres
- Strong writing skills, including creative writing
- Hands-on experimentation
- Exploration of the natural sciences
- Understanding engineering concepts
World Languages & Cultures
- Building fluency in Mandarin Chinese and Spanish
- Teleconferencing to sister schools around the world
- Geographic knowledge and cultural understanding
- Real-world problem-solving
- Algebraic thinking
- Understanding measurement and data
- Music history and music appreciation
- Reading music
- Playing a musical instrument
- Promoting fitness, body awareness, and coordination
- Movement and exercise incorporated throughout the day
- After-school athletics and team sports
- Keyboarding and word processing
- Using mobile devices and web-based tools
- Collaborating on digital projects
- Art history and appreciation
- Utilizing a wide variety of media and techniques
- Community art projects
Take a Tour and Meet with our Admissions Director
Interested in applying to TNCS’s Elementary program? Come and visit us.
Nearly all TNCS elementary students far exceed national and state grade level standards.
Elementary School Curriculum: Inquiry-Based Learning Tools
- Units of Study in Argument, Information, and Narrative Writing
- Junior Great Books
- Raz Kids
- Engineering is Elementary
- Singapore Math
- The Daily 5
- IXL: Online Math and Language Arts Practice
- TNCS Bids Fond Farewell to the Class of 2021!
- TNCS Elementary and Middle School Students Perform Standup Comedy for Theatre Class!
- TNCS March Madness Continues: Mad Scientists!
- Your Parent Guide to i-Ready, TNCS’s Math and Reading Platform!
- Jalynn Harris Writes a New Chapter for TNCS 5th- through 8th-Graders!
- TNCS Veteran Teacher Laura Noletto Takes Over Elementary and Middle School Spanish Instruction!
- Meet the Teacher: Rob Brosius Joins TNCS Elementary/Middle School!
- A Spring Break Message to Thank You, TNCS!
- Virtual TNCS: A School and Its Student Body Continue to Thrive!
- TNCS Reading Buddies Program Expands to “Buddy School,” Wolfe St. Academy!
- Global Studies at TNCS Gets to the Heart of Ancient Civilizations!
- Meet Multifaceted Loretta Lee: One of TNCS’s Newest Lower Elementary Teacher!
- Service Learning Gets Souped Up at TNCS!
- TNCS Upper Elementary and Middle Schoolers Make Their Annual Pilgrimage to Echo Hill!
- TNCS 4th- through 8th-Graders Build Their Own Robots!
- Kids and Internet Safety: Start the Conversation!
- Cooperative Learning at TNCS: Reading Buddies, Budding Readers
- TNCS March Madness: Science Fair 2019!
- TNCS Elementary and Middle School Students Do Hands-On Field Research!
- TNCS Elementary and Middle School Students Spread Kindness from the Ground Up!
- TNCS Elementary and Middle School Students Get Moony!
- RecyQueen Returns to TNCS!
- TNCS Lower Elementary Students Make Sense of Mindfulness!
- TNCS Elementary and Middle School Students Visit AVAM!
- TNCS’s Annual Elementary & Middle School Information Nights: An Overview
- TNCS Continues Annual Service to the Community with Project Linus
- TNCS Students Get Technical!